Car Accidents

When you have been involved in a car accident and have been injured you enter a new world of health care providers and insurance adjusters. Moreover, you may be in severe pain and even possibly unable to work. Most people find it difficult to learn new and complicated areas when they are suffering. You may be experiencing fatigue, difficulty concentrating, neck or back pain, and find your life has, hopefully temporarily, changed for the worse.

We will explain the health care options and how the bills get paid. If you are lucky you have health insurance as a first option for payment. However, many people find the traditional medical profession unsympathetic to neck, shoulder and back strain injuries (commonly called whiplash).

If you have been in a car accident and are experiencing symptoms such as headaches, stiff neck and back, loss of mobility, difficulty walking or moving or bending, numbness in your arms, hands, legs or feet, or severe back pain, you know your pain is real and possibly debilitating. You may feel the need for treatment other than the usual pain and muscle relaxant medication your treating physician will most likely prescribe.

Your options are chiropractors and physical therapists. If your health insurance will not pay for a chiropractor, you may have medical payment benefits in your car insurance policy. Many people are unaware of this important option. If you have medical payment coverage (commonly called "med-pay coverage") YOUR insurance company will pay chiropractic and physical therapy bills for you and your passengers. There are usually limits such as $1,000.00 or $5,000.00 on these benefits, but they are usually per person in the vehicle. Some companies have provisions in the policy that call for reimbursement of these payments if and when you settle with the person at fault, but at least you are getting treated for your injuries and the bills are getting paid.

If you do not have health insurance or med-pay coverage, many chiropractors will treat you on a "lien" basis. You will sign a lien on any settlement with the person at fault, and that will be sent to your attorney. Your attorney will then pay the chiropractor or physical therapist at the time your claim is settled.